Monday, November 22, 2010

What I'm Thankful For "Getting Better"

Every year at Thanksgiving, my family and I all  take turns going around the table mentioning at least one thing we are thankful for. Here is just a peek at what I have to be thankful for this season:



 Larry and Rochelle Golden and all the wonderful Labs at Dixie Run Labradors. Larry and Rochelle bred Lucy from day one and if it weren't for their kindness and generosity we wouldn't be together. After writing letters of inquiry and making phone calls to almost 30 service dog agencies across the country only to be denied because I was either too busy with school or did not match that particular agency's criteria, My mom found out about Dixie Run Labs and Lucy became part of our family.

Even though she has her moments and I have to be a mom and discipline her now and then, Lucy is my favorite part of the day. Just waking up and seeing her waiting in her crate every morning fills me with so much excitement. I know that whatever happens, we're going to be together and get into all sorts of fun and that's the best part!

Furthermore, I have never been very good at social interaction or making friends due to Asperger's Syndrome, but with Lucy around I never feel lonely and I have constant companionship. When I was in school I was bullied a lot, even through college, but I always feel so safe with Lucy. I know she will never judge me because all she wants to do is be my best friend and  love me forever.

We are each other's best friend. We play ball together every day and take long walks and go to the park, out to eat,  to the grocery,  the mall, and even the library! Lucy's favorite book right now is Owen by Kevin Henkes. My mom read that book to me when I was little and I loved it, so I decided to read it to her. She really will sit and listen and look at the pictures, it's funny!

One of my favorite parts of our day is when I tuck Lucy into bed and sing her her lullaby, "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and listen to her drift off to sleep. (I am a HUGE Beatles fan, so I decided to name her Lucy after their hit song.) When I hear my dog breathing so deep and peacefully, I know everything is right in the world, and no matter how crummy the day has been, I know tomorrow will be better because she is with me.
In the words of The Beatles:

"You've Got to Believe It's Getting Better/
A Little Better All The Time/
You've Got to Believe It's Getting Better/
A Little Better/
Since You've Been Mine/
Getting So Much Better All The Time"/

GOLDEN FAMILY,
BARK! BARK!
WE LOVE YOU
AND ARE SO THANKFUL THAT YOU BROUGHT US TOGETHER!
ALL THE BEST!

-Adria and Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment